Commercial Insurance

for Landlords

Commercial Insurance

for Landlords

Excalibur Insurance keeps the doors open for Ontario rentals with coverage landlords can understand and afford.

Excalibur Insurance keeps the doors open for Ontario rentals
with coverage landlords can understand and afford.

What insurance coverage do I require for my rental dwelling?

If you own a single rental property in Ontario or many you know that a homeowner’s insurance policy will not cut it. Whether a boiler floods the downstairs neighbour, an entire building is lost in a fire, or the cleanup after an unfortunate tenant, you’ve likely uncovered a range of perils to your success. The size of your rentals, the type of rentals you provide, and the locations and spaces all further complicate risk management. How to keep housing people and businesses while protecting what you have built is where we come in.

Our Excalibur insurance specialists are familiar with the challenges landlords face. It could be a damaged apartment. Your newest clients may have brought unwelcome pests. Or perhaps you fall prey to a tenant using your unit for illegal purposes. Any rental dwellings not occupied by an owner needs separate coverage specific for rental units, how much and what type can be confusing. Rest assured that our brokers will perform a commercial insurance review of all possible coverages to protect you from significant loss.

Our team of defenders has your back, with insurance coverage to protect you, your properties and your tenants.

We understand

yellow hard hat

You need to keep
your team working.

We help you prioritize the liability coverage options that protect you in case a customer or other party takes legal action against you or your team. You can keep working with confidence knowing you are covered.

You need the flexibility to do business when it works for you.

We ensure you have the ability to access real time proof of insurance certificates and make changes to your coverage when you’re at the site, on a coffee break or between client meetings.

handshake icon

You need to know
we’re a handshake away.

The only thing better than our coverage, is the commitment of our Excalibur Defenders – who double check coverage, and champion small business owners at every turn. If you need us we’re there.

At Excalibur insurance, our commercial specialists help you manage risk using our special process. Only buy the coverage you need; you have options to consider, and we can help you evaluate and understand them.

We Make Your Business
More Appealing to Insurers.

green person with lightning bolts

1. We review common insurer pain points.

magnifying glass warning icon

2. We leverage our risk prevention expertise.

checklist icon

3. We strategically package your submission for a quote.

Rental Dwellings we can protect:

  • Apartment complexes
  • Single-family home rentals
  • Duplexes and triplexes
  • Condominiums
  • Townhouses
  • Vacation Rentals
  • Mobile Homes
  • Co-op Rentals
  • Co-Living Spaces
  • Student Housing
  • Senior Housing

Let Us Pinpoint the Coverage You Need to Protect your Properties.

Our Excalibur Insurance Brokers will ask a lot of questions – for good reason.

The rental dwelling industry offers a range of inherent risks, the first and most prevalent is the risk to your physical property. One rental property or hundreds of units in your physical building could suffer damage from natural disaster or fire but also theft and vandalism. There is the risk that the tenants themselves pose to the building. Additionally, the risk of administration. Thorough screening of your tenants may leave you with a lot of personal and private information that could fall into the wrong hands. Our team is there to ensure you have exactly the coverage you require for these risks and more.

We begin by acknowledging the risks, then prioritising those in terms of what is most urgent, or likely. Then we’ll develop a plan to manage, mitigate, transfer, accept or even avoid those risks.

Here are a few areas of specialized concern you may want to consider when reviewing your coverage.

  • Digital Theft and Data Breach
    An often overlooked coverage in the rental industry. Your business gathers personal information to qualify tenants. Digital criminals target businesses of all size and scope. Casual phishing scams, hacking into your online application systems or your security systems are all methods that leave you and your tenants vulnerable.
  • Guaranteed Income Insurance
    When dealing with tenants, there is always the risk of residents not meeting their payment deadline, a risk that expands as your properties grow. This additional coverage or rider can cover the landlord if a tenant fails to completely cover their rent for a month – or skips out on payment altogether.
  • Additional Construction Expenses
    If your building has been damaged as a result of an insurable peril, this coverage can protect you from any costs that come as a result of having to modify a property to meet bylaw regulations or provincial/federal code during the repair or rebuild period.

Suffice to say, developing a coverage plan if you own a property that has tenants is critical. Landlord Insurance should be considered even if you simply rent out your summer cottage occasionally.

Business Insurance for Landlords and Rental Dwellings

A vital component of risk management business insurance acts as a form of risk transference. Unfortunately, not all risks can be avoided entirely. Thankfully, business insurance is available for landlords and, with the help of experts like the commercial brokers at Excalibur insurance, you can get yours for less.

Not sure what coverage your business may need? See below for a sampling of some of the Commercial Insurance options that may benefit you and protect your assets. A well protected business is a reliable one – able to confidently take on the next project without fear of ‘what if’s’

Commercial General Liability Insurance

Commercial General Liability, or CGL, is the most basic form of business insurance coverage. It may cover a food & beverage professional from accidents both in-and-outside of regular services. This includes lawsuit expenses due to incidents of slips and falls, structural collapse, or other incidents.

Commercial Property Insurance

If you have a brick and mortar spot your business calls home – you might want to protect it. This coverage protects your business premises against losses due to theft, fire, vandalism, falling objects and other ‘named perils’

Business Interruption Insurance

Many small businesses are not insured if something happens where they need to temporarily close due to a claim. A fire, flood or break in may temporarily halt business and create serious cash flow stress.

Crime Insurance

Commercial “Crime Insurance & Employee Dishonesty” coverage helps protect businesses of all scale and scope from losses due to crime that can occur within or outside your organization.

Commercial Umbrella Insurance

Commercial “Umbrella” Liability coverage extends the limits and coverage of your Commercial General Liability (CGL) insurance capacity. It acts like a shield moving to fill gaps that might exist in your individual policies.

Directors and Officers

D&O coverage protects boards of directors and officers against lawsuit expenses. This includes public, private, profit, and non-profit organizations.

Equipment Breakdown

Equipment Breakdown Insurance protects the equipment your business depends on from sudden and accidental, physical damage that requires its repair or replacement.

Cyber Insurance

Cyber Insurance helps cover expenses when your network is hacked, or your data is stolen. It can include coverage for extortion, crisis management, and business interruption expenses.

Commercial Auto & Fleet Insurance

Commercial Auto coverage ensures that any vehicles used by your business, occasionally or full time, are protected in the case of an accident.

Liquor Liability for Food & Beverage

If your business produces and/or serves liquor as part of its operations this may cover the cost of damages, medical bills, as well as legal expense, defense costs, or settlement fees that could occur should an intoxicated person cause injury to themselves, someone else, or a third-party’s property.

Implementing a plan that relates directly to the number of properties you own and their specifics will ensure your rental dwelling business is protected. Accurate risk management strategies that reflect your exposures and manage, transfer, avoid, or accept your risks respectively will help your business continue to operate for years to come.

You deserve an insurance broker who leaves nothing to chance, wants to save you money – and is willing to tell you the unvarnished truth.

OR, Just give us a call and speak to an Excalibur Defender

Jeff Roy, Excalibur Insurance (headshot)

Jeff Roy

President & CEO
[email protected]
(519) 482-9357

Ken Colquhoun, Excalibur Insurance (headshot)

Ken Colquhoun

VP Personal
& Commercial Sales
[email protected]
(226) 423-3015

Learn more over at our Blog!